Male enhancement in the pharmaceutical world is pioneered by erectile dysfunction drugs such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, and similar prescribed medication for male dysfunction. Viagra has always enjoyed impressive sales records globally, although more intense competition with supplement counterparts has emerged in recent years. Did you know how Viagra works and affects your system?
In simple terms, Viagra works through enlarging blood vessels in your penis when you are sexually aroused. This enlargement of the blood vessels allows the inflow of blood that is crucial and necessary for an erection to occur.
- Sildenafil, the active ingredient of Viagra, incites a release of nitrous oxide or NO, a chemical that causes the blood vessels in your genitals to enlarge during the occurrence of sexual stimulation.
- It activates the enzyme guanylate cyclase, therefore causing an increased presence of cGMP. cGMP is responsible for causing the smooth muscles of the blood vessels to relax, letting blood flow increase.
- Viagra and similar PDE5-inhibiting drugs used for combating erectile dysfunction have the ability to inhibit the decline of cGMP.
Certain side effects, however, have been documented. There are adverse events that can potentially take place, such and diarrhea, indigestion, headache, abnormal vision, nasal congestion or stuffy nose, as well as urinary tract infection (UTI).
If you are a Viagra user and you are experiencing one or more of these side effects, it is best to consult your doctor, who will evaluate your case. There are other precautions involved in taking these medications, too. For example, anyone with a heart condition is strongly discouraged from taking Viagra, which was initially formulated as a heart medication. Listed in its side effects is how the user could become flushed or dizzy if he has an existing heart condition.
Several male enhancement alternatives have risen and stayed in the market space, including over-the counter herbal supplements, also known as erection pills. They combine herbs, nutrients, and other ingredients for synergistic action, helping assist erectile strength and quality, stamina, and overall sexual performance.
Even food has its pro-erection effects! Here are some noteworthy ones:
- Watermelon – Allow your blood vessels to relax and make it easier for blood to fill your penis. It contains citrulline, which converts to arginine through enzymes present in your body. Arginine helps raise nitric oxide, which benefits your circulation.
- Pomegranate – Appears to have a number of beneficial effects relating to sexual potency and performance, including improved erections.
- Cold-water fish – Includes tuna, salmon, mackerel and sardines, which are all high in the mineral zinc. Zinc plays a crucial role in producing ad optimizing testosterone in the male body.
It is best to consult your doctor concerning your prescription ED medication and potential male enhancement alternatives. Your overall state of health, medical history, and any existing condition will be considered in deciding the best erection enhancement option for you.